Thanksgiving Morning Nature Hike – Dallas (11/27/08)
Posted by youngsierrans on November 25, 2008
In place of the Turkey Trot we’ve organized a morning hike at the Texas Buckeye Trail located in the south Dallas area. Anyone’s welcome to join us; no RSVP required.
Time: Meet at the TX Buckeye Trail trailhead at 9:00 AM (probably no more than two hours worth of trails)
Location: 7000 Bexar Street, Dallas, TX 75215 (map). The below website has directions from other parts of town.
- Take Central (US-75) South to I-45 (just past downtown) and Exit Kaufman US-175.
- Follow US-175 through the “big curve” and exit Right on Bexar St.
- Follow Bexar St. to the right all the way south to the cul-de-sac.
- Park in the cul-de-sac near the park entrance.
- NOTE: Don’t bring any valuables you don’t need that morning. If you must, lock them in the trunk – out of sight – prior to parking at the trailhead.
Trail Website: http://www.texasbuckeyetrail.org/
Bring: Probably best to wear pants, hiking shoes, camera, water, bug spray, etc.
This is a very pretty trail with paths to the Trinity River and through the Buckeye grove. We hiked this trail in the spring to witness the Buckeyes bloom (see photos on the site). I think the total distance to hike everything is about 3+ miles of easy/level hiking.